Both vineyards are enriched with many of Rudolph Steiner’s farming principals to enliven the soil and bring the grapes to life. La Estancia area generates a regularity of fog at night, through the morning, and wind in afternoon. The soil
consists of sandy loam and silty soils. Sumida Sisters Vineyard is located in the
historic Santa Lucia Highlands. Erin and Simon Phillips, who are the current
vineyard owners, planted the 8 acres of Pinot Noir in 2010. It is located below
their La Estancia Vineyard. The soil is alluvial and porous. It consists of Chualar
loam, granite and sandstone ‐ which provide a nourishing environment for grape
vines. Erin brings a fresh approach to farming this vineyard, maintaining an alert
awareness on when to add and maintain balance with a light touch. She believes in these essential ingredients to growing tasty grapes: fresh soil, air, water, and most importantly, she adds loads of love.
Our Pinot Noir is 100% de-stemmed into 5‐ton open top fermenters. We gently pump over each morning and evening throughout fermentation. Delastage at the beginning and end of fermentation. Aged in neutral French oak 228L and 270L barrels.
- Varietal: Pinot Noir
- Vineyards: Sumida Sisters and La Estancia
- Location: Santa Lucia Highlands
- ABV: 12.5%
- Total Production: 1500 cases
- Produced & Bottled by BREA Wines, Berkeley, CA
- ABV: 12.5%
- Blend: 100% Pinot Noir
- Soil: Chualar Loam with granite and sandstone
- Aging: 6 months in used French oak
- Total Production: 120 cases
- Grapes from this vineyard are grown using the practices of Rudolf Steiner, occultist philosopher and founder of biodynamic agriculture.
- Produced & Bottled by Brea Wines, Berkeley, CA
Brea Wine Company is a collaboration between Chris Brockway, winemaker and owner of Broc Cellars, and Tim Elenteny, owner of TE Imports. The wines are made using spontaneous fermentation, meaning the use only native yeast to spark fermentation. Nothing is added to the wines. Sulphur is a naturally occurring element in all wine, the amount found can vary. We add little to no S02, depending on the wine and style. The vineyards we source from use no chemicals, pesticides or herbicides.